Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer Reading


If you can’t stomach graphic violence, this trilogy by the Swedish writer Stieg Larrson is not for you, but I couldn’t put it down.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO

THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE

THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET’S NEST

In that order.

Two Harlan Coben novels:

FADE AWAY

CAUGHT

Any mystery by P.D. James. I read THE LIGHTHOUSE this month.

Colin Dexter’s THE REMORSEFUL DAY. This is the last of the Inspector Morse novels. Exquisitely written. I’m going to read more Colin Dexter.

THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY by Mary Ann Shaffer. Enjoyable but not as good as Larrson, James or Dexter.

THE DARK TIDE by Andrew Gross and THE DAFFODIL MYSTERY by Edgar Wallace, because I got them free from Amazon Kindle. The last one is terribly old fashioned and not highly recommended, and I can’t remember anything about the other one.

PRIVATE JUSTICE by Terri Blackstock. Don’t remember. Could probably read it again.

Other books I read this summer, not mysteries:

THE LAKE SHORE LIMITED by Sue Miller (She never lets me down).

THE THREE WEISSMANNS OF WESTPORT by Cathleen Schine A contemporary comic novel. Well done.

SECOND HONEYMOON by Joanna Trollope and also by her, THE OTHER FAMILY

THE FORSYTE SAGA –complete (three books) by John Galsworthy. Loved it.

PASCAL’S PENSEES by Blaise Pascal Inspiring.

HOW TO RETIRE OVERSEAS by Kathleen Peddicord. Cuenca, Ecuador is it.

I have the same terrible reading habits that I’ve always had: once I get started, I can’t put it down. I try to space them a little, so that Tom sees the whites of my eyes occasionally.

P.S. I love love love my Kindle.

6 comments:

ann cannon said...

WOW!!!!!!!!! Completely impressive.

Reading the Forsyte Saga in college was one of my favorite reading experience ever. And I love that you're reading soooooo many mysteries.

I just finished BROOKLYN, a quiet masterpiece by the gifted Irishman, Colm Toibin.

ann cannon said...

Oh yeah and good graphic there, missy.

Also just finished MAJOR PETTIGREW'S LAST STAND. Read it, Louise. It's beyond delightful.

Jason Merrell said...

Thanks for what looks like a great list! I'll have to wait until my own life feels less graphically violent to dive into the first three. I have the kindle app on my iPad and also love it. Rough Stone Rolling is now available for $9.99, which is very exciting since the type is a little small for subway reading in the print version. I just got it sunday afternoon and am a third of the way through. Also got myself some Pascal. I think it was free or 99 cents. They also had a copy of Die Leiden Des Jungen Werthers for free. One I haven't read yet, either. I'm still ploughing my way through the Apron Stage favorite first reads list. I want the free toaster oven!

Katy said...

I just read an article about Larrson's trilogy. He's sold something like 25 million copies, so his books must be good, not that I'm swayed by the masses. I just finished reading The Glass Castle and just started The Help (which I didn't want to read since it seemed to attract the same women who loved the Twilight series, which I don't like, but I must admit I'm going to the midnight showing of Eclipse tonight). I really am a living contradiction.

I will have to take on some of your recommendations.

Sarah said...

This makes me want to read. And then go work out.

Jason Merrell said...

I love that FINDING DADDY is now available as an ebook on eReader!