Friday, April 23, 2010

West of I-15. Like way west of I-15.


I miss the real estate bubble. Most of my married life we've made extra money by buying and selling houses. We've moved about like gypsies in the wind. I actually cleaned out cupboards last week, because I thought, I'm not moving anytime soon; guess I'd better do some spring cleaning.

If I have to be stuck in a house, then this is not a bad house to be stuck in. It's new construction and has granite and stainless steel in the kitchen, which I would not bother updating in another, older house. It has a usable front porch. The neighborhood has a lake and a pool and parks and other good stuff.

I like my ward. I like "my temple." I like being close to Charles and Erica and their kids. I like when Harrison brings Curtis by.

The downer is this: I almost vomit when I have to write on a form that I live in South Jordan. I like everything about my neighborhood except that it's in South Jordan. I've never in my life known anyone who lived in South Jordan. Now I know hundreds of people who live in South Jordan.

It's like a hair short of living in Bluffdale next to the penitentiary. Excuse me, people who live in Bluffdale.

And then there's this. I'm happy here. I'm happy HERE IN SOUTH JORDAN! How can this be? Am I working toward some kind of maturity?

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

10 comments:

SWILUA said...

I'm in West Jordan, so South Jordan sounds all classy to me.

Louise Plummer said...

I thought you were in Draper.

erica spelman said...

I'm in the midst of buying in Vegas...ridiculously cheap houses right now! Your age graph cracked me up, by the way!

Louise Plummer said...

After a certain point, it' all downhill.

It's so fun to buy a place in a down market!

Marianne said...

My mom lives in Riverton - one exit south on Bangeter from Daybreak. Her demographics are the same. She has decided when people in church tell her she is really wise, they really mean she is the oldest person they have met.

Bridget said...

I want to live where you live so badly. I was this close too, then my husband changed his mind and we had to eat our earnest money. To make matters worse we bought a house in Orem. OREM. Never in my life have I wanted to be from Orem. But now I am, and I like it okay except for when I have to tell people where I live. Barf.
You don't know me, but I went to some lectures of yours at BYU about 10 years ago with an English major roommate who made me read a couple of your books. I've been a fan ever since. You're hilarious.

Sarah said...

I'll take this nickel, thank you.

Louise Plummer said...

Bridget, I understand your pain.

whirligigdaisy said...

Oh Louise. Since your class last year at WIFYR I've moved to Wyoming. We haven't sold out townhouse in Mapleton, which is fabulous. Granite countertops, stainless steel. A park. So we rent here. Orange shag carpet, floral wallpaper, linoleum flooring. There is a screened in porch, which we adore and a nice yard. The weirdest thing is that, besides the house. I love it here. Go figure.

erica spelman said...

Update: I am officially in escrow - yay! (I think - don't know if escrow is something to yay about).