1. Any recent novel that has won the Booker Prize or the Pulitzer Prize or the National Book Award. Or a good mystery. Or a history of tulips or World War II in Holland. Or a book on design or decorating with lots of pictures. Or any book that the giver thought was a sensational read.
2. A DVD from Acorn Media. They carry all the good stuff from Masterpiece Theater like "Cranford," "Foyle's War," "Detective Morse." Any Bette Davis movies.
3. Costume jewelry, especially bracelets or a cheap watch with a red band.
4. A new board game that doesn't require a knowledge of war or diplomacy.
5. A turtle neck sweater, XL.
6. Black leather gloves.
7. Any picture painted by a grandchild or a map drawn by Max. A photograph of your family.
8. Ina Garten's first cookbook. Any cookbook. I'm cooking again.
9. A good looking alarm clock.
10. A vintage hat with a veil from the 30's or 40's.
11. A good pedometer.
12. A cake from The Black Hound in NYC.