Sunday, December 21, 2008

Oh Christmas tree!

Our tree is finally up.  It's a skinny, fake, celluloid thing but I have a lifetime collection of decorations to punch it up.  I love my decorations, especially the pink fairy in honor of Lucy, the Santa Clauses, lots of them, the painted eggs from Saltzburg, the Maine lobster fisherman, Mother Goose, the angel, Tom's trout.  I could go on and on.  In fact, I have.  I topped it off with Santa's hat, an idea that I unapologetically stole from Sarah.  I always tie red satin ribbons on the tree.  I copied that from Dennis Garff, circa 1966.  In fact, every good decorating idea I've ever had came from Dennis.  He's dead now, dammit.  Drowned himself like Ophelia.

I get a little grumpy during the holidays and think about becoming a communist, or blowing up my study, but then I decorate the tree and I know I'm going to live through all that gaity and sparkle another year.  I know I'm actually going to enjoy myself.  Fa la la la la la la la la.


2 comments:

Rachel said...

Your Christmas tree looks like it could belong at the festival of trees, its lovely.

lulu said...

I thought you may have found a picture online...your tree looks fabulous. Hope your were successful in remaining anti-scrooge. Best wishes.